Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Some good eatin' at our house!!

I made two recipes that were so good I had to blog about it.

Chicken (or should I say turkey) pot pie
First the recipe for chicken pot pie. It's the Chicken Pot Pie IX recipe on allrecipes.com. I used what I had on hand in the way of vegetables and omitted the celery (since I had none).


I made my pastry from a boxed mix. The brand I use is Robin Hood Flaky Pie Crust mix. This revalation came from a grandmother at my daughters' school who bakes constantly for everyone. Her food is "to die for" and I asked her what her pie crust secret was. She confided that she uses the stuff "in the yellow box".





I always made mine from scratch. Well, I was skeptical but I gave it a try. I'm telling you, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference taste wise. All you do is add some water to this mix and, voila, you have a pie crust.

Anyway, I digress....

When I finished the pot pie, I knew we were in for a treat because this baby looked like a work of art. My husband was mightily impressed. It was almost the chicken pot pie that wasn't because, unknown to me, my hubby ate most of the turkey for lunch. There was just about 3/4 cup left. Of course I didn't find this out until it was time for me to put the turkey into the recipe. I did what I could and you couldn't even tell it was lean on turkey.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
A mom at my daughters' school gratiously stepped in to take care of my kids, without pay, when my oncologist's appointment ran 3 hours long today! Gee, that's a story for another blog entry. I thought I'd make some cookies for her two boys. I'd remembered a recipe a friend had used when she gave my family some cookies a few years ago. Something about Hilary Clinton....

Anyway, I found the recipe and made it. The recipe's called Hillary Clinton's Chocolate Chip Cookies. The cookies are (should I say "were") great!! It was inspiration from above since the idea just "came to me". The friend who first made me the cookies was a member of a cancer support group I belonged to. Sadly, she passed away about a year ago. When I made the cookies today, I thought of her.

I just had to pass these recipes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment