Monday, October 12, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - 10/12 to 10/18

Last week I tried 2 new recipes. I thought I'd give my comments here so I can backtrack in future to see how well they were received:

Crockpot Beef Stew - Although my husband and I loved it, my kids wouldn't eat it. The addition of coffee was genious. It gave the stew a rich colour and robust taste. It was enough for dinner and there was some leftover for about 2 lunches. I was hoping to freeze some but there just wasn't enough. I cooked the stew on high for about 4 hours. I found that the meat wasn't as tender as I would have liked but I could break it apart with a fork although it was kinda chewy. Not sure if I should have cooked it longer or shorter.

Salmon Turnovers - I made major mods to this by using mayo instead of cream cheese. Everyone like this and it was faster to make than I had originally thought. I didn't cook the dough long enough so it was still kinda "pasty" in spots. If I make this again, I'd omit the celery and onion because my "picky" daughter complained the whole time. It was one dish that everyone ate. It's also very filling. I think of them as "gut bombs". Next time I'll just accompany them with a green salad.

This week's menu:

Monday - Thanksgiving leftovers
Tuesday - Hamburger helper with green salad
Wednesday - Spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread
Thursday -
Sloppy Joes on braided egg bread
Friday - Pizza and leftovers
Saturday - Burritos with guacamole and refried beans
Sunday - 50's style meatloaf (frozen) with mashed potatoes and green beans


Tuesday was so rushed I didn't get home until 5 p.m. I didn't get a chance to shop so had little or nothing in the pantry. On chemo, I no longer "rush" to be the perfect mom, so HH worked just fine. The girls loved it and dinner was done in 20 minutes.

Thursday's meal is a sloppy joe's recipe that the kids love. The braided egg bread loaf is quite large and looks just like the bread you buy in a bakery. The taste is great and I modify the recipe so I can make it in the bread machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment